The next 5th Internet, Law and Political Science Congress has been scheduled for 6th and 7th July 2009. Organized by the School of Law and Political Science at the Open University of Catalonia (Barcelona, Spain), the event has evolved into an interesting forum where it is highlighted what’s happening nowadays in the fields of law and cyberlaw, intellectual property rights, privacy, data protection, freedom, political engagement, politics 2.0, empowerment, etc.
Aimed to both researchers and practitioners, during the four editions that we’ve been running the congress, we’ve had here people the like of Jonathan Zittrain, John Palfrey, Eben Moglen, Helen Margetts, Lillian Edwards, Yves Poullet, Erick Iriarte, Stefano RodotÃ or Benjamin Barber, among others.
The main topic this year is social networking sites (SNSs, in a broad sense). We want to have sessions were at least two speakers present opposite points of view (pros and cons). The programme (almost closed, though some changes might apply) is as follows:
- Keynote speech with James Grimmelmann, providing an analysis of the law and policy of privacy on social network sites, and an evaluation of some possible policy interventions.
- Session 1: Social Networking Sites and Individual rights, privacy, intellectual property rights, image rights, intimacy…,
chaired by Raquel Xalabarder and featuring Jane Ginsburg, Antoni Roig and Alain Strowel.
- Session 2: Data protection and SNSs,
chaired by MÃ²nica Vilasau and featuring Franck Dumortier, Esther Mitjans and Maya Nieto
- Session 3: Access to public information and SNS
chaired by Ismael PeÃ±a-LÃ³pez and featuring JosÃ© Manuel Alonso, Jordi Graells, and one/two more speaker(s) TBC.
- Session 4: Policies for a secure Internet,
chaired by AgustÃ Cerrillo and featuring Salvador Soriano Maldonado and Nacho Alamillo.
- Session 5: Public participation and SNSs,
chaired by Ana SofÃa Cardenal and featuring Rachel Gibson (TBC), JosÃ© Antonio Donaire and Ricard Espelt.
DaithÃ Mac Sithigh will be the official reporter of the event, providing, at the end of each day, a summary of the main subjects dealt in that day’s sessions.
- Official website: http://www.uoc.edu/symposia/idp2009/engl/index.html
- Dates: 6th and 7th July 2009
- Venue: Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Rambla de Catalunya, 6, Barcelona, Spain
- The event is free.
- Official tags: idp2009 and idp
- Liveblogging at: Lexferenda and ICTlogy
- Event in Facebook (Spanish)
- Event in Facebook (English)
- Notes and videos from the 4th Internet, Law and Political Science Congress (2008)
- Notes from the 3rd Internet, Law and Political Science Congress (2007)